People often ask how can strong magnets be carried on the plane? What measures need to be taken? What are the requirements for packaging?
Why Are There Restrictions on Bringing Magnets on the Plane?
Since the weak stray magnetic field interferes with the aircraft’s navigation system and control signals, the International Air Transport Association (IATA) lists magnetic cargo as Class 9 dangerous goods, which must be restricted during acceptance.
Therefore, some air cargo with magnetic substances needs to be tested magnetically in order to ensure the normal flight of the aircraft. Magnetic materials, audio materials and other instruments containing magnetic accessories must be tested for magnetic properties.
What is the Magnet Air Transport Standard?
- According to the relevant provisions of IATA902: if the maximum magnetic field strength measured at a distance of 2.1m from the measured object does not exceed 0.159A/m (200nT, which is equal to 2mGs = 0.002Gs), then the object is not restricted as a magnetic substance and can be used as general cargo handling.
- If the maximum magnetic field strength measured at 2.1m away from the tested object exceeds 0.159A/m, but any magnetic field strength at 4.6m away from the surface of the tested object is less than 0.418A/m, then the goods can be accepted as dangerous goods.
- If any magnetic field strength at 4.6m from the surface of the tested item is greater than 0.418A/m, then the item is strictly prohibited for air transport.
How Can I Meet the Air Freight Standard?
In order to meet the above air transport requirements, it is necessary to demagnetize the air transport magnets.
Although it is called degaussing, it is not actually demagnetizing the magnets, but through special shielding packaging, so that the magnetic properties displayed on the package meet the specified air transport safety requirements.
Shielding packaging generally uses high magnetic permeability materials, such as cold-rolled sheets, galvanized sheets, etc. If the amount of magnetic material is large, several layers should be packed. The magnetic permeability of high magnetic permeability materials is very high. According to the principle of Faraday’s electric cage, after packaging, the magnetic field mainly circulates in the box, and very little leaks out. Cartons or wooden boxes are used outside the shielding package for packaging.
What Are the Packaging Matters That Should Be Paid Attention to when Transporting Magnets by Air?
1. The opposite magnetic poles of instruments and devices such as magnetrons and illuminance meters must be placed opposite to each other.
2. The permanent magnet material must be equipped with a magnetic-preserving armature or shielded to prevent the magnetic field from causing the deviation of the compass instrument.
3. Each package of magnetic materials must be correctly marked and labeled in accordance with Chapter 7 of the IATA Dangerous Goods Regulations.
4. Ensure that the magnetic field strength measured at a distance of 4.6 meters (15 feet) from the surface of the package does not exceed 0.418A/m (0.00525 gauss) before the consignment of the goods.
5. It is recommended to pack in wooden boxes for bulky items.
How to Carry out Magnetic Detection?
Airlines or logistics companies carrying magnetic materials will require customers to do magnetic testing and issue an “Air Transport Condition Identification Report” to ensure the normal flight of the aircraft.
Generally, the air freight appraisal can only be issued by a qualified professional appraisal company recognized by the civil aviation management authority of the country.
- Generally, it is necessary to send samples to an appraisal company for professional testing, and then issue an appraisal report.
- If it is inconvenient to send samples, the professionals of the appraisal company will conduct on-site testing and then issue an appraisal report.
The validity period of the appraisal report is generally used in the current year, and it should be redone after another year.
During the magnetic detection, the customer needs to pack the goods according to the requirements of air freight, and the detection will not damage the packaging of the goods. In principle, the detection does not open the box of the goods, but only detects the stray magnetic field on the 6 sides of each goods.
If the magnetic test of the goods fails:
Special attention is required. First, with the consent of the customer, the entrusted magnetic inspection staff will unpack the goods for inspection, and then put forward relevant reasonable suggestions according to the specific situation. If the shielding can meet the requirements of air transportation, the goods will be shielded according to the client’s entrustment, and corresponding fees will be charged.
KENENG, as a magnet manufacturer, can produce a variety of strong magnets. If you have the corresponding knowledge or products to understand or produce, please contact us.